You can apply for a Service Supplier visa if you have a contract to provide services for a UK company, either as an employee for an overseas company or a self-employed professional based overseas.

To be eligible for a Service Supplier visa, you must:

  • be an employee of an overseas business, or a self-employed service provider based overseas;
  • be providing a service to a UK business under a contract that is covered by a valid international trade agreement;
  • be doing an eligible job - if your job is not eligible you may still qualify if you have relevant qualifications and experience;
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your UK sponsor with information about the work you’ll be doing in the UK;
  • have worked for your employer for at least 12 months outside the UK, or have at least 12 months’ professional experience if you’re a self-employed service provider.

How long you can stay in the UK depends on the type of trade agreement you’re providing services under.

You can stay for whichever is the shorter of:

  • 6 months or 12 months - this depends on the trade agreement you’re providing services under.
  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days.

The maximum you can stay on a Service Supplier visa is 6 or 12 months depending on the type of trade agreement you’re providing services under.

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6-year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa;
  • Intra-company Transfer visa;
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility).

You can work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship, study, bring your partner and children with you as your dependants if they’re eligible, do voluntary work, travel abroad and return to the UK.

You cannot apply for most benefits (i.e. public funds), or the State Pension, change jobs unless you update your visa, apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) or do a second job.

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email