You can apply for a Service Providers from Switzerland visa if you work for a company based in Switzerland and your employer needs you to work on a contract in the UK. The contract to carry out work in the UK must have been signed and started before 11pm on 31 December 2020.

If you are a Swiss national, you can also apply to the route as a self-employed service provider if you are based in Switzerland.

If you are employed, your employer can only send staff to the UK for 90 days per calendar year across all employees and contracts, including weekends and bank holidays. It is your employer’s responsibility to make sure you and any other staff who need to work in the UK do not collectively exceed the 90-day limit.  If you are self-employed it is your responsibility.

To apply to this route, you must provide evidence that you are:- 

  • employed by a company based in Switzerland (this applies to all nationalities) or;
  • (if Swiss) self-employed and based in Switzerland;
  • 18 years of age or older.

 Your visa will last for whichever period is shortest:- 

  • the end date of the contract to work in the UK;
  • the end date of your work contract with your Swiss employer (if you are on a fixed-term contract);
  • the day before your right to live in Switzerland expires if you are a non-EEA citizen or a Croatian national;
  • 31 December 2025.

If your visa expires and you still need to provide services in the UK, you can re-apply for another Swiss Service Providers visa if you meet the criteria. You cannot re-apply if the work contract itself has expired.

You can:- 

  • provide services in the UK for up to 90 days each calendar year (you must only work on the relevant contract or contracts);
  • enter and leave the UK multiple times during the visa period.

 You cannot:- 

  • bring any family members with you (‘dependants’);
  • work more than 90 days in a calendar year – you may have to work fewer if there is another employee also working on the same contract;
  • work for any reason other than that for your visa (including self-employment and voluntary work);
  • study;
  • get public funds;
  • get medical treatment on the NHS (other than in an emergency);
  • marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership;
  • live in the UK for extended periods of time or make the UK your main home;
  • extend your stay;
  • switch between visas whilst in the UK.

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email