You can apply for a temporary work International Agreement visa if you’ll be contracted to do work covered by international law or treaty while in the UK. This includes working:

  • for an overseas government or international organisation
  • as a private servant in a diplomatic household
  • as an employee in the household of someone who works for a ‘recognised international organisation’

This visa has replaced the Temporary Worker – International Agreement Worker visa (T5).

The international agreement category is for people coming to the UK under contract to do work that is covered under international law, including the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS); similar agreements between the UK and another country, employees of overseas governments and international organisations and private servants in diplomatic households. You must have a sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship.

Changes are being made to this category to make more specific provision for contractual service suppliers employed by overseas businesses seeking admission in the context of the supply of a service to a UK client and where relevant commitments in certain international trade agreements to which the UK is a party are engaged. The changes apply to the following entry requirements:-

  • The workers must be employed by a business which is located on the territory of a country which is party to such an agreement and which has no commercial presence in the EU.
  • The service which that business is supplying to the Tier 5 Sponsor is a service which falls within a sector or which the UK has taken commitments in an international trade agreement.
  • The service is being supplied pursuant to a contract which has been openly tendered.
  • The Tier 5 sponsor will be the final user of the service (i.e. a business in the UK cannot sponsor the admission of workers under this category which it will then supply, as labour to a third party).
  • The applicant is a national of the country in which the sending business is located.
  • The applicant has been employed by the sending business for at least one year prior to the date of the application.
  • The applicant meets the specified skills requirements. Applicants will normally be required to possess a degree or equivalent, three years professional experience in the sector concerned and relevant professional qualifications, where they are required for the exercise in the UK of the activity in question.

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email