If you’re from Hong Kong and are a British National (Overseas) you and your family members can apply for a British National (Overseas) visa. It allows you to live, work and study in the UK.  Someone who was a British overseas territories citizen by connection with Hong Kong was able to register as a British national (overseas) before 1 July 1997.

British overseas territories citizens from Hong Kong who did not register as British nationals (overseas) and had no other nationality or citizenship on 30 June 1997 became British overseas citizens on 1 July 1997.  If you’re not already a British national (overseas), you cannot apply to become one.

You can apply for a BNO visa if you’re:

  • a British national (oveseas);
  • 18 or older.

Your permanent home must be:

  • in Hong Kong, if you’re applying from outside the UK;
  • in the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man or Hong Kong if you’re applying in the UK.

Your family members can apply for a BNO visa if they’re eligible. They must usually apply at the same time as you, unless they are your partner or your child under the age of 18.

Rights as a British national (overseas)

You can:

  • hold a British passport;
  • get consular assistance and protection from UK diplomatic posts.

However, you:

  • are subject to immigration controls and do not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK;
  • are not considered a UK national by the European Union (EU).

You can apply for settlement if you have a BNO visa and if you’ve spent 5 continuous years in the UK.  You may be able to register as a British citizen if you’re a British national (overseas) and meet certain conditions.

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email info@hpassociates.uk.com.