You can apply for this visa if your overseas employer is transferring you to the UK to do an eligible job for a different organisation.  Your overseas employer must have a high-value contract with the UK organisation. 

To be eligible for a secondment worker visa, you must be an existing employee of an overseas organisation that has a high-value contract with your UK sponsor that has been approved by the Home Office, have worked for your overseas employer for at least 12 months outside the UK, have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your sponsor with information about the work you will do in the UK and do a job in the UK that’s on the list of eligible occupations.

You can stay in the UK with a Secondment Worker visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • 12 months after the start date of the job detailed in your certificate of sponsorship;
  • The time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days.

If you want to stay longer in the UK, you can extend your visa by 12 months. The maximum time you can stay in the UK on a Secondment Worker visa is 2 years.

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6-year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa;
  • Intra-company Transfer visa;
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility).

With a secondment worker visa you can work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship, study, bring your partner and children with you as your dependants if they’re eligible, do voluntary work, travel abroad and return to the UK.

You cannot apply for most benefits (i.e. public funds), or the State Pension, change jobs unless you update your visa, apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’) or do a second job.

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email