A Graduate Trainee visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to work for your employer in their UK branch.  Your job must be eligible and part of a graduate training programme for a managerial or specialist role.  This visa has replaced the Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa, previously Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Graduate Trainee visa.

If you’re not on a graduate training programme, you may still be able to work for your employer’s UK branch with a Senior or Specialist work visa.

To qualify for a Graduate Trainee visa, you must:-

  • be an existing employee of an organisation that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor;
  • have worked for your sponsor outside the UK for at least 3 months immediately before you apply;
  • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the work you will do in the UK;
  • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations;
  • be paid at least £23,100 per year.

You cannot apply to change (‘switch’) to a Graduate Trainee visa from inside the UK.

You can stay in the UK with a Graduate Trainee visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days;
  • 12 months.

You cannot extend your visa, but you can apply for another Graduate Trainee visa from outside the UK.

You can only stay in the UK for a maximum of 5 years in any 6-year period if you’ve spent time on any of these visas:- 

  • Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa;
  • Intra-company Transfer visa;
  • Graduate Trainee visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Secondment Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Senior or Specialist Worker visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • Service Supplier visa (Global Business Mobility);
  • UK Expansion Worker visa (Global Business Mobility).

You must have been working for your sponsor outside the UK for at least 3 months immediately before the date you apply.  You can work for your sponsor in the job described in your certificate of sponsorship, study, bring your partner and children with you as your dependants if they’re eligible, do voluntary work, travel abroad and return to the UK.

You cannot apply for most benefits (i.e. public funds), or the State Pension, change jobs, do a second job or apply to settle permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’).

For further information please call 0207 654 3797 or email info@hpassociates.uk.com.