News and communications from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

08 December 2019

Latest News

Biometric Residence Permits to be introduced to visa applicants from abroad from March 2015 The Home Office has announced that United Kingdom entry clearance visas or entry clearance vignettes are soon...
The Migration Advisory Committte ("MAC") was commissioned by the Government in June 2015 to advise on changes to Tier 2 of the Points Based System and on 19 January 2016 MAC published its...
Changes to the Prevention of Illegal working checks announced Following a recent consultation on the prevention of illegal working, the Home Office has recently released a "Code of practice on...
More inNews  

Tier 5 (International Agreements)

Tier 5 (International Agreement)

The international agreement category is for people coming to the UK under contract to do work that is covered under international law, including the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS); similar agreements between the UK and another country, employees of overseas governments and international organisations and private servants in diplomatic households.  You must have a sponsor and a valid certificate of sponsorship. 

If you are already in the UK under the international agreement category, you can apply to extend your permission to stay here. The maximum total time that you can stay is 24 months, unless you are an employee of an overseas government or international organisation, or a private servant in a diplomatic household who applied for a visa in that capacity on or before 5 April 2012.  Under these conditions you can apply to extend your stay for a maximum of 12 months at a time, up to a total of 6 years.

If you are a private servant in a diplomatic household and applied for your visa in that capacity on or after 6 April 2012, you can apply to extend your stay here for a maximum of 12 months at a time, up to a total of 5 years or the length of your employer's posting, whichever is shorter. You cannot change your employer during your stay.

Changes are being made to this category to make more specific provision for contractual service suppliers employed by overseas businesses seeking admission in the context of the supply of a service to a UK client and where relevant commitments in certain international trade agreements to which the UK is a party are engaged. The changes apply to the following entry requirements:-

The workers must be employed by a business which is located on the territory of a country which is party to such an agreement and which has no commercial presence in the EU.

The service which that business is supplying to the Tier 5 Sponsor is a service which falls within a sector or which the UK has taken commitments in an international trade agreement.

The service is being supplied pursuant to a contract which has been openly tendered.

The Tier 5 sponsor will be the final user of the service (i.e. a business in the UK cannot sponsor the admission of workers under this category which it will then supply, as labour to a third party).

The applicant is a national of the country in which the sending business is located.

The applicant has been employed by the sending business for at least one year prior to the date of the application.

The applicant meets the specified skills requirements. Applicants will normally be required to possess a degree or equivalent, three years professional experience in the sector concerned and relevant professional qualifications, where they are required for the exercise in the UK of the activity in question.