News and communications from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

08 December 2019

Latest News

Biometric Residence Permits to be introduced to visa applicants from abroad from March 2015 The Home Office has announced that United Kingdom entry clearance visas or entry clearance vignettes are soon...
The Migration Advisory Committte ("MAC") was commissioned by the Government in June 2015 to advise on changes to Tier 2 of the Points Based System and on 19 January 2016 MAC published its...
Changes to the Prevention of Illegal working checks announced Following a recent consultation on the prevention of illegal working, the Home Office has recently released a "Code of practice on...
More inNews  

Tier 5 (Charity Workers)

Tier 5 (Charity Workers)

This sub-category is for people coming to the UK to do voluntary (unpaid) work for a charity. The work must be directly related to the work of your sponsor's organisation and you must have a sponsor; and a valid certificate of sponsorship.  When you apply, you will be awarded points based on your sponsorship and available maintenance (funds).

You can make an application if you are currently outside the UK; or you are already here in the Tier 5 (Temporary workers - charity workers) sub-category and you want to extend your stay (up to a maximum total stay of 12 months).  If you are already in the UK in a different immigration category, you cannot apply to 'switch' into the Tier 5 (Temporary workers - charity workers) sub-category.

You can live and work here for a maximum time of 12 months or the time given in your certificate of sponsorship plus 28 days, whichever is shorter. This time must begin no more than 14 days before the start date given on your certificate of sponsorship.  If you will need to leave and come back to the UK quite often as part of your job, your sponsor can assign a multiple entry certificate of sponsorship to you. You will be able to enter and leave the UK during the time when you have permission to live and work here.

If you leave the UK and you were given permission to stay for 6 months or less, your permission to stay will end when you leave the UK. You will not be able to come back using your Tier 5 (Temporary workers - charity workers) visa. You will need to apply again from abroad in order to come back to the UK.