News and communications from UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

08 December 2019

Latest News

Biometric Residence Permits to be introduced to visa applicants from abroad from March 2015 The Home Office has announced that United Kingdom entry clearance visas or entry clearance vignettes are soon...
The Migration Advisory Committte ("MAC") was commissioned by the Government in June 2015 to advise on changes to Tier 2 of the Points Based System and on 19 January 2016 MAC published its...
Changes to the Prevention of Illegal working checks announced Following a recent consultation on the prevention of illegal working, the Home Office has recently released a "Code of practice on...
More inNews  

Tier 1 (Investor)

Tier 1 Investor

The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK. You do not need a job offer to apply in this category. Your application will be assessed based on your ability to invest £2,000,000 in the UK.

At present Tier 1 (Investor) migrants are required to invest their funds within three months of entering the UK.  Currently, if they fail to do so an extension application will be refused.  From 6 April 2014 a change has been made to this requirement to allow extensions to be granted if there are exceptionally compelling reasons for the delay in investing.

From 13 December 2012 a Tier 1 (Investor) migrant's leave will be curtailed if they fail to maintain the required level of investment for the duration of their leave.  Amendments are also being made to state explicitly that points will not be awarded for investments that applicants have taken loans out against, or investments that are held in offshore custody.  In addition, Tier 1 (Investor) migrants may not work as professional sportspeople.

To be able to apply, you should have £1,000,000 or more of your own money for investment in the UK; or you have £2,000,000 or more in personal assets, plus a loan of £1,000,000 or more for investment in the UK.If you have £1,000,000 of your own money for investment in the UK this money must be held in a regulated financial institution; be disposable in the UK; and amount to £1,000,000 or more and be held overseas or in the UK at the time of your application.

If the money is not held in pounds sterling, you must convert it into pounds sterling to show that you have the minimum investment required. You may rely on money that you own jointly with your partner (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner), and on money that is owned solely by your partner. In which case, you must have an unrestricted right to transfer and dispose of this money; and your partner's permission to have control of this money in the UK.

If you have £2,000,000 in personal assets and a £1,000,000 loan for investment in the UK the net value of your personal assets must be at least £2,000,000 after any liabilities to which you are subject have been taken into account.  Assets held by your partner (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner), either jointly or in their own name, can be taken into account when assessing your net worth.

You may borrow all of your £1,000,000 investment money, which must be held in a regulated financial institution; and disposable in the UK.  The loan must be made by an authorised financial institution which is regulated by the Financial Services Authority.  You may not mix personal money and borrowed money in order to meet the total £1,000,000 investment required.